Back to School Edition: Treatment #5
Safe Travel to School: Raised Intersection
Consists of a raised platform on the intersection and short length of approach roads. Requires speed hump warning, advisory speed sign and may include other warning signs, if warranted, such as children crossing. May also need to be lit, depending on location.
- Effective at reducing vehicle speeds at crossing point
- Considered a Safe System treatment as it reduces crash severity
- Raises awareness levels of drivers
- Can be expensive (construction, drainage etc.)
- Comfort level for commercial and heavy vehicles can be comprimised
- Does not provide priority to pedestrians
Please note that the information in this document represents general advice only. Each site must be assessed in its specific context, and each treatment must be assessed on its merits.