Here are some key practices to keep in mind when designing intersections where two paths meet:
- Clear Priorities: Establish clear priorities for path users. Consider the volume of users, and if it’s low, give priority to the stream most inconvenienced by stopping.
- Visibility is Key: Maintain good sight lines for all users. A clear view enhances safety and minimizes potential conflicts.
- Advance Warning: Provide advance warning for approaching intersections. Early notification helps users adjust their speed and navigate the intersection safely.
- Signage Matters: Follow sign guidance diligently. Proper signage is important for effective communication and ensuring everyone understands the rules of the path.
- 90-Degree Intersections: Where possible, have intersections at 90-degrees.
- Treatments for Smooth Flow: Treat path intersections like local road intersections. Implement line markings and signage where appropriate for clarity and to organise path user flow.