What influences drink driving?
• Compared with sober drivers, drink drivers are significantly more likely to be alcohol dependent.
• Compared with sober drivers, drink drivers are significantly more likely to be male, have lower socioeconomic status, and no academic qualifications.
• Decisions made before going to an event helped to avoid a drink drive incident.
• Driving to an event was highly associated with driving from the event, irrespective of prior planning or amount of alcohol consumed.
• Drink drive incidents often follow drinking at bars or after-work drinks.
• Drinking drivers are more likely than sober drivers to be driving alone.
This information was gathered by the University of Otago – Morrison et al (2002) and published in the Journal of Injury Prevention. Paper title: Personal and situational influences on drink driving and sober driving among a cohort of young adults.